Ashton Hills Estate Pinot Noir 2016
SPECIAL 6 PACK BUY. Gold Medal Adelaide Hills Wine Show.
Ashton Hills has the oldest pinot vineyard in the Adelaide Hills. Stephen George wears two winemakers’ hats … one for his Ashton Hills wines coming from his estate vineyard high in the Adelaide Hills, the other for the iconic Wendouree wines in Clare. He refers to his dry grown Piccadilly Valley vineyard planted back in 1982 as the “Burgundy of the Adelaide Hills”. Stephen is one of Australia’s most highly respected winemaking viticulturalists and a pioneer of Adelaide Hills Pinot Noir. In 1982 he planted his dry-grown 3 hectare vineyard (which he refers to as his garden!) and has experimented much with trellising and planting 21 different pinot clones and settled on the best performing 5 clones. To give you an idea of the attention to detail of this craftsman, sometimes they go through 4 times hand picking the same row to ensure optimum ripeness! The result is sublime pinot noir.. unfortunately in minuscule quantities!
The Estate is handpicked, gently destemmed to preserve as many whole bunches as possible, followed by basket press, minimal sulphur additions and maturation in French oak.
The pinot fruit is destemmed via a small, customised, gentle destemmer that keeps as many whole berries as possible. The fruit is then basket pressed, and the wine is made without any sulphur additions until bottling. Some whole bunches are included, and the percentage varies according to the style of the vintage. The pinot is then matured in one and two year old barriques prior to bottling.
The 2016 growing season in the Adelaide Hills started early and was over in a flash. A warm spring resulted in early flowering and great flavour development, with stronger than average yields hand-thinned to maximise fruit flavour and concentration.
The 2016 Estate Pinot Noir is made from four clones: 57% from D5V12 , 23% from Martini, 13% from 777 and 7% from MV6. It was matured in a combination of 20% new François Frères and seasoned French oak. Grapes were handpicked, keeping individual clones separate in small open fermenters. Some whole bunch fruit was added to ferments, enhancing aromatics and structural complexity. Fermentation was initiated by indigenous yeast (wild ferment). Each clonal parcel was basket pressed and filled to seasoned French oak barrels with full solids. All barrels were kept on lees to build palate, body and complexity and racked off lees just prior to bottling, without filtration. Drink now or cellar for 5 – 10 years for further complexity. 14.5% Alc
GOLD MEDAL – 2017 Adelaide Hills Wine Show, Nov 2017
94 points, Tina Gellie, Decanter “Amazing purity of rich fruit, showing aromas and flavours of ripe cherry and strawberry, exotic spices and autumn leaves. It’s savoury and silky with firm structure and bright acidity. Superb!”
92 points, Nick Stock, JamesSuckling.com “The nose here is characterized by boysenberries, fresh raspberries and rose petals. Medium to full body, fluid yet sturdy tannins, good acidity and a fresh finish. A nice Chinese herbal streak to this. Holds long. Drink now.”
RRP $60 **SPECIAL 6 PACK BUY … Only $48.99 when you buy 6 of this wine**
|Region or Country||
Adelaide Hills, Australia